Thursday, June 3, 2010

All children should be able to see a sunset!

I will be walking in 3 days in the Vision walk in support of an awesome little boy named Gavin. Gavin was born blind, he has what is called Leber's Congenital Amaurosis.

I met his mother through a friend at a wedding, I started following her blog not long after Gavin was born. I have always been so amazed by Jennifer, and how she has done nothing but research and raise money and awareness for her son's condition. I never understood how she was so strong and always looked up to her for how she has educated herself and fights everyday for not only her son but also for the other people with this condition to be able to see one day.

I truly believe God puts these precious children in the arms of Mom's like her cause he knows what they are capable of.

Little did I know a little over a year after learning about Gavin and wondering how Jennifer does it. I was tested in my own way, when I found out about Berlyn. I now knew how Jennifer felt staying up ALL hours of the night wearing out her computer doing research and trying to educate herself on what she can do to help. We have joked around how big of nerds we have become from all of this.

I actually got to chat a little with Jennifer a few weeks ago when I went to her house to drop off some clothes for a fundraiser they were doing for Gavin and she mentioned that if Gavin was a girl that his name was going to be Berlyn Marie (not sure if the spelling would have been the same). What's even funnier is I thought about the name Gavin if Berlyn was a boy.

I am trying to help out as much as I can cause I know if I needed help with Berlyn she is the type of Mom who would step in and help me as well.

I know times are tough right now, but if you find it in your heart to help as well you can go here. Even if it's $10.00, any bit helps!

I know for a fact because of Gavin's strong willed and determined mother Gavin WILL see a sunset one day. It brings me to tears thinking about it.

2 comments:

Jen said...

This is so sweet! Thank you Brianna ;) I'm so glad you guys will be walking with us Sunday. Spreading the word to raise awareness is key, so thank you for doing that!!

:corinne: said...

Hey girlie! It was wonderful seeing yesterday. I was just telling Shan how neat it is to see all us gals who grew up in the same church, now grown ups and Moms! it's awesome. you have a beautiful little girl and you're such a wonderful mom. I loved being able to catch up a little yesterday. Huggs my friend.